Skip to main content

Chinese School opens on Fisgard

The Imperial Chinese School, built by the CCBA, was opened at 636 Fisgard. This school was built because Chinese-born children who could not understand English were banned from attending public schools in Victoria. The CCBA moved its headquarters to the top storey of the school. After the Manchu government fell in 1912, the school was renamed the Chinese Public School (Huaqiao Gongli Xuexiao).

(CCL, 123, 127)

Timeline Date

Sat, 1909-08-07

Display Date

7 August 1909