Skip to main content

Leper colony established on D’Arcy Island

A leper colony on D’Arcy Island was established to quarantine five Chinese men found in Chinatown with leprosy. There was no medical care for the sufferers until 1906 when the federal government took control of the station, and by 1907 all the residents were repatriated to China. D’Arcy Island remained a temporary detention centre for those with leprosy until the station was closed in 1924.

http://gvpl.ca/using-the-library/our-collection/local-history/tales-from...)

Timeline Date

Wed, 1891-07-01

Display Date

1891